2023 Chemistry for Climate Action Challenge – Top tier proposals
Published: Monday 16th January 2023
Categories: NEWS, INCLUSIVE RESEARCH
Categories: NEWS, INCLUSIVE RESEARCH
Thank you for participating in the Elsevier Foundation Chemistry for Climate Action Challenge!
The first stage of the submission process closed on October 16. During the past weeks, our pool of experts worked to review the proposals.
We’re proud to announce the top contestants selected for the next phase of the Challenge.
- Praveen Chandrasekar, Crustacean Biomass derived Green Sorbents for Mitigation of Anthropogenic Sulphur dioxide: An One-stop Solution for better climate, health and environment
- Lucas Pencho, Sustainable CO2 capturing by clay adobe building block
- Choe Peng Leo, Carbon+ fertilizer: Carbon storage as carbonates in cellulose microbeads for nutrient recovery
- Samantha Deane, Finding sustainable solutions for the agricultural industry to maintain crop yields while adapting to climate change. This study will research the effects of seaweed biostimulants on crops, focusing on their ability to increase crop resilience against abiotic stress including their impact on the plant’s ability to uptake and retain water.
- Osarode Odemwingie, Supplementation of Oyster mushroom production with human hair waste fibre.
- Rodrigo Barcellos Hoff, REACQUA – a low-cost and energy-free system to purify water
- Rita Otu, RAFFIA 2 RICHES: Biodegradable building and packaging materials made from Raffia Palm(Ndam)
- Chayasith Uttamapinant, PET-cell: a whole-cell catalyst prototype for the degradation of consumer-grade polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- Renos Fountoulakis, United For Green: Green energy source – high quality bio-charcoal
- Chuck Chuan NG (伍泽川), Youths Empowerment Through Vetiver Bioremediation for Climate Action in Malaysia
- Elaine Mission, Bioactives and hydroxyacids from waste vegetables for natural cosmetics base
- Anita Neupane, Public-private partnership for waste to wealth
- Teresa Cecchi, Gold from e-waste by food waste. Sustainable gold recovery for inclusive prosperity
- De Olivette, Project WEB: Waste for Energy & Bio-Fertilizer
- Fabio Neves dos Santos, Recycling of the cocoa agricultural residues into raw materials for biocosmetics
- Aliu Olawale Rasheed, GreenBox serves as an alternative to a septic tank that detects disease AI App and treats water to become reusable.
- Abdirizak Adan, Shaping an Inclusive Grassroots Energy Transition and Creation of Alternative Energy Sources for Cooking and Irrigation of Field Crops and Vegetable Gardens
- Aloys Mewoli, Operationalization of a new onion preservation technique using water activated by non-thermal plasma.
- Srinath Pashikanti, Extraction and Recycling of Cathode metals from ores, electronic waste using Phosphonium based Ionic Liquid: An application for advancing affordable Electric Mobility Economy
- Claudio Reinhard, CYCOLIVE – Transforming agrowaste in useful resources and bio-compounds for the industry.
- Ramkumar Ramachandran, Biodegradable Personal Hygiene products using crop residues to reduce the burden of harmful non-woven plastic components
- Mashura Shammi, Fabrication of household low-cost water purification system using biochar and laterite soil in the salinity-affected regions of Bangladesh
- Wala Womens Social Enterprise, Women empowerment in green skills.
- Danila Merino, BIO-based and ACTive liquid mulch films for improved crops’ yield and quality under drought conditions
- Anna Chari, KAVALIAN LIMITED
- Maria Wilvenna Añora, Biodegradable Packaging from combined Corn Husks, Rice Straws and Sugarcane Bagasse Agricultural Wastes
- Inshad Jum’h, Cloud Seeding Chamber for Rainfall Enhancement and Non-toxic Weather Modification by Combined Acidic Silicon Nanoparticles
- Ashira Roopnarain, Green is the new black: Green chemistry approach to improve year round green energy generation in unheated anaerobic digesters
- Muyiwa Akindolire, Characterization of lytic bacteriophages of Dickeya Zeaeas potential biocontrol agents against maize stalk rot: A green approach
- Richard Arwa, Second Generation Bio-Ethanol Cooking Fuel From Cellulose Biomass (Water Hyacinth Stems)
- Samina Akbar, Electrochemical recycling of CO2: A smart technology for climate engineering
- Gaurav Adhikari, Botanical Extract fermented in Cow Urine: Integrating biotechnology with traditional knowledge for Sustainable Crop Protection